Sunday, November 1, 2009

Desserts for Diabetics

I feel like I am leaving behind some pretty important people. These people might find that it's hard to look at my blog and not be able to go running to the places I name and buy the desserts I recommend. These people are diabetics.

My grandfather is the reason why I eat sugar like I do, but not too long ago he was diagnosed with cancer and later on they found he had become a diabetic. For dessert lovers, like my grandpa and I, telling us we can't eat anything with sugar is like taking away a spark or our life.

In fact some people even think their life is going to change 100% and they need to go on a complete new diet. But according to the book Healthy Calendar: Diabetic Cooking, if people are too restrictive and don't allow themselves any sweets or favorite foods, they can get frustrated and go on binges.

Luckily this isn't the end of your life! There are many ways to satisfy your sweet tooth and still be aware of your diabetes. Here are some:
  • Fruit treats such as a fruit salad with yogurt dressing
  • No-sugar hot chocolate with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top
  • A low-calorie parfait made of sugar free pudding
  • Sugar-free gelatin

For more dessert recipes for diabetics, check out WebMD's article: 7 Healthy Desserts for Your Diabetes Diet.

So now if you are a diabetic or know somebody who is one, prepare one of these ideas and bring some sweet smiles to people. I know I'm gonna go make some sugar-free gelatin and bring it to my grandpa.

And remember, if you ate cake, candy, chocolate or ice cream before you were diagnosed, you still can with all the options available out there for you to satisfy your sweet hunger and still be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment