Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tartufo - Italian ice cream truffles

Over the years Italians have been known and recognized for their food, soccer and gelato. Their fame is not to be blamed, it's true that they have the best of the three. One of my favorite desserts of all time is the Tartufo

A tartufo is an Italian ice cream dessert. It usually has two flavors of ice cream with either fruit syrup or frozen fruit in the center. It is originally covered in a shell made of milk chocolate.

Growing up with an Italian family, you know we always had amazing food on our table. But since I am very picky with food, I couldn't wait until it was dessert time. Tartufo has been a tradition in my family and now it's becoming more and more available in South Florida restaurants. However, this doesn't mean that they are good everywhere. 

The best places to eat a tartufo are Italian restaurants with a good reputation. Last week my family and I went to Casa D'Angelo, not only did we enjoy a true Italian dinner, but the dessert menu was filled with many choices. 

I had a very hard time making up my mind, but as a true fan of the tartufo, you know I had to have one -- only this time I ordered two. But in my defense, they were two different kinds. The good thing about the tartufo is that there are many combinations of ice cream flavor so it fits everybody's preferences. The most common one is the chocolate and vanilla. So I ordered it. 

Yum, yum! It was good beyond belief but I figured since it is the one I'm
used to ordering, why not try something different -- so I did. I ordered a Mango tartufo. You are probably wondering: Mango??
Yes, mango!! And although I was afraid at first, the white chocolate cover and the mango ice cream are a match made in heaven. 

Casa D'Angelo is the only restaurant where I've found this kind of tartufo, but if you know of any other restaurants that have a tartufo flavor you think it's unusual, please share it with me! 

Click here to learn how the people from Epicurious make their tartufo.

1 comment:

  1. Find terrific tartufo at Dorsia inBoca Raton. Great food too

    ReplyDelete